Table of Contents
Vinyl composition tile (VCT) is commercial grade vinyl flooring and known for being the most durable flooring material available. VCT tile flooring is particularly popular in commercial buildings. VCT tile flooring is commonly found in cafeterias, clubhouses, classrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and garages.
Homeowners have come to appreciate vinyl flooring for the very qualities that have made it extremely popular in commercial structures for so long. It only takes a few simple care and maintenance steps to keep vinyl floor looking beautiful for years to come.
Vinyl flooring has a safety rank of 8 out of 10 for seniors. Stains aren’t an issue and the floor won’t be scarred or scraped over time as a walker or wheelchair passes over it on a regular basis. You can choose vinyl flooring that looks like wood, ceramic tile, or other types of floors.
Key Features of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring is stain- and moisture-resistant and can maintain its appearance even under heavy use and foot traffic. It is cheap to install and easy to clean. Vinyl flooring can easily last for decades with regular maintenance to keep up its appearance and prevent damage. Here are some other benefits of vinyl flooring:
- Resistance to water, stains, scuffs, and scratches
- Soft, sound-dampening surface
- Easy-to-clean surface
- Ability to customize
Cost of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring is among the most economical flooring choices in terms of initial costs, with decades of durability and performance as proof. Installation is fairly easy and cost effective.
COMMERCIAL USE (Vinyl Composition Tile):
The bulk of the cost for commercial use, however, comes in the continual maintenance costs involved with waxing and polishing. Plus the additional restorative maintenance for when polish needs to be stripped and reapplied.
RESIDENTIAL USE (Vinyl Plank or Vinyl Sheet):
Vinyl flooring is easy to maintain and does NOT need to be stripped and waxed.
How to Maintain Residential Vinyl Floors
When cleaning vinyl floors, use a soft bristle broom to remove loose dirt. Damp-mop as needed with clean water and a nonabrasive floor cleaner. Harsh cleaning chemicals should not be used on luxury vinyl flooring.
Best Practice for Preventing Damage
- Spills should be cleaned up immediately.
- Wash the floor with nonabrasive floor cleaner.
- Never push, pull, or drag furniture across vinyl floors. Always lift and carry.
- Place pads under your furniture to avoid scratches.
- If the vinyl looks dull, use Bona cleaning products. Your vinyl flooring will look original again.
How to Maintain Commercial VCT Tile Floors
There are 3 steps to follow when maintaining VCT flooring: daily, periodic, and restorative maintenance.
Daily maintenance is the first step to caring for your VCT flooring and ensuring its appearance lasts. There are a few different methods for daily maintenance which include sweeping, vacuuming, dust mopping, and (in commercial cleaning) with an auto scrubber.
- Sweeping – This is the first and most basic step in daily floor care. Sweeping removes dirt or large trash like wrappers, crayons, or food particles. If there is no noticeable waste on the floor you can skip it.
- Vacuuming – This is considered on the most important steps in VCT floor care. Vacuuming removes smaller messes such as dust or anything that sweeping did not get. This is crucial to prevent damage to the sealant as dirt and small particles can scratch and dull the finish. Dust mopping can be used instead of vacuuming if preferred.
- Cleaning– Once the floor is free of particles and waste, the floor needs to be cleaned. In commercial settings for larger areas of VCT flooring, an auto scrubber is the most effective. An auto scrubber is a large piece of janitorial equipment with automated scrubbers that scrub and dry as it passes. In a residential setting, a damp mop will work just fine.
Periodic Maintenance of VCT Tile Flooring
Over time, VCT flooring can lose its shine from heavy foot traffic and normal daily wear and tear. Daily maintenance helps keep a clean work and living environment; however, periodic maintenance is a necessity to prevent damages, restore floor shine, and protect your floor.
To learn more about VCT periodic maintenance and Commercial Cleaning & Restoration VCT cleaning and sealing services, click here
At some point, VCT flooring will require restoration, even with an immaculate maintenance track record. VCT typically requires a full strip and finish annually.
Stripping involves removing old layers of wax and dirt, floor prep, and applying a new sealant/wax to protect from future damage. There are DIY methods for stripping, however if the wrong stripping agent is used, used too soon, or incorrectly, in can weaken the adhesive bond to the floor. Commercial Cleaning and Restoration’s technicians are trained in VCT flooring cleaning methods.
Installation of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring can be installed over an existing floor. Homeowners should not attempt this project. A professional should install this type of flooring because of the precision required. Our installation team at Commercial Cleaning and Restoration is skilled in preparing the floor surface, gluing the flooring down, and cutting and adjusting the VCT | Vinyl flooring.
At Commercial Cleaning & Restoration, we want the best for you and your carpet and we will work to prove it to you.
We also clean area rugs and upholstery.
Carpet • Tile • Area Rugs • Upholstered Furniture
If you are interested in having your flooring and upholstery professionally cleaned, schedule an appointment at (520) 297-4736 for your home today!
- Ice Flooring
- Floor City
- EBP Supply