This week we highlight some great tips for property managers and individuals with rental properties to keep them in top condition!
As a full service carpet cleaning, restoration, and mold remediation company, we have seen it all over the years. These guidelines can help protect you, the owners, and the tenants.
Guidelines to Protect Everyone
- Most property managers or landlords require carpets clean when a tenant moves out before a new one moves in. Does anyone have their carpets cleaned every six months as well as at a contract renewal? More and more organizations are starting to require this in their contracts to protect their investment. Some property managers are requiring the tenant(s) to pay for the six month cleaning with their vendor and at the 1 year renewal, the property manager or landlord may pay for the cleaning at that time. This has helped prolong the life of the carpets, reduced the amount of carpet needing to be replaced, and saved money in the long run.
- To assist with maintaining those carpets, we recommended that all homes have walk off mats located at each entry point, such as the garage, front and back doors. This decreases the amount of dark soiled staining in heavy traffic areas that can be difficult to completely remove.
- Property managers should always inform their tenants where the water shut off valves are located for the house. Tenants need to know how to shut off the water to the house in case of an emergency.
- The majority of restoration calls are attributed to household appliance failure with washing machine being the number one culprit. Washing hoses are required to be changed every 3 years per most manufacturer recommendations. Additional household appliance consist of water heaters, dishwashers, toilets, and supply lines. It is important to inspect and maintain these at least once a year.
- A common practice is informing tenants about storing items in closets, especially those that are behind water pipes. Cardboard boxes are a haven for mold, and we see this frequently when tenants move the boxes after a lengthy stay in the same location, they are welcomed with a horrible surprise. It is great practice to store items in plastic bins and stack in the closet, as it is less likely the bins will hold water and attract mold.
- Leave a vendor packet with your recommended service providers at the rentals, or provide it to the new tenants upon lease signing. This helps them know which professionals they need to contact for any services, and protects the property manager from tenants using an unknown company.
If you have any questions or further recommendations, please contact us or feel free to e-mail Commercial Carpet Cleaning at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to answer your questions or add your recommendations!