Table of Contents
Your roof is one of the most vulnerable parts of your home during the Tucson monsoon season. Intense 110-degree heat combined with monsoon wind and rain can be a disastrous duo for your roof. If it is damaged, the rest of your home is vulnerable to damage, including ceiling stains and mold from water penetration.
ROOF PROBLEMS WE SEE THE MOST
Here are some of the most common roof damages we see during Tucson’s monsoon season:
- Roof leaks: Leaks are the biggest problem during storms, and when monsoons relentlessly pour down water and batter homes with heavy winds, leaks are highly likely. The challenge with roof damage is that sometimes it’s difficult to tell whether the roof leak was caused by the monsoon or by delayed maintenance or normal wear and tear.
- Worn out roofs: Your roof must be properly maintained to extend its life. The scorching Tucson sun is hard on roofs; the sun causes cracks and makes tiles, shingles, and flashing brittle and prone to breakage, which in turn will lead to the roof being compromised. This can allow water to get into damaged areas.
- Cracks along parapet walls: Unfortunately, stucco walls and roofs break down over time and crack in inconvenient places. Stucco Parapets are a magnet for cracks. It is critical to keep checking your parapets for cracking to prevent leaks in the home during heavy rains.
Scuppers and Downspouts: A buildup of debris and dirt can clog the scuppers and downspouts on a flat roof. This will cause ponding on your roof instead of draining. Ponding will cause moisture to seep into your roof foundation and eventually rot.
We are very happy to announce
Commercial Cleaning & Restoration KB2 license
Offering roof repairs and maintenance just in time for monsoon season
By using one company for emergency water damage cleanup and roof repairs, the process is quick and smooth, when compared to using two different companies. You can rest easy knowing you’ve put your roof in the hands of a company you can trust to get the job done right and on time.
Whether your roof leaks are big or small, Commercial Cleaning & Restoration is available 24/7 to handle the situation so you don’t have to. Our experienced technicians will respond quickly armed with the equipment and knowledge necessary to restore your property quickly, reducing your total loss and ensuring you can get back to normal as soon as possible. Here are some of the reasons why Commercial Cleaning & Restoration is the best choice for your emergency roof repairs and leaks:
- Fast Response
- 24/7 Emergency Response
- We Work For You
- We Work with Your Insurance Company
- We understand Water Damage Drying
- We are Licensed and Experienced
- We assign one project manager from start to finish
- We have the ability to do emergency tarping and roof repairs
- 1 project manager from start to finish
TYPES OF ROOFS WE REPAIR
- Tile Roof: Tile is also a popular choice in Tucson. There are many colors and styles to choose from. It is made from concrete or fired clay and can stand up to the sun better than other roofs. It is also more energy efficient. Tile roofs can last 20-50 years. Tiles are easier to blow off the roof during the Tucson monsoon season and repairs can be more expensive since tiles cost more. Tree debris should be cleaned off regularly to prevent water from backing up and going under the roof tiles and damaging the roof. Be sure to check the cement caps to make sure they are not cracked or missing. Tiles can crack, so be sure to check them regularly and either repair or replace them.
- Shingle Roof: Shingle’s affordability is one of the primary reasons for its popularity. It also has a lot of colors and styles to choose from. Shingle is resistant to damage from our Tucson climate. It is less likely to be blown off the roof during a monsoon storm than tile. Common issues with a shingle roof are around the roof penetrations not being maintained or missing shingles. A shingled roof can last 10-15 years, can look good with very little maintenance and are fairly inexpensive to repair compared to other materials.
- Flat Roof: In Tucson, flat roofs are an effective, inexpensive and durable roofing option for homeowners. Flat roofs have a unique Southwestern flair and are easy to repair and replace. Leaks are a common problem when there’s a lot of rain ponding on your roof instead of draining. Ponding can cause moisture to seep into your roof foundation and possibly begin to rot it. This is commonly caused by scuppers and downspouts being clogged with dirt and debris. This type of roof requires higher maintenance and should be checked every year starting from about 3-5 years of age.
ROOF INSPECTION AFTER A STORM
It can be difficult to determine the level of storm damage yourself. Getting up on your roof can be dangerous, especially if it’s slippery from rain. Call Commercial Cleaning & Restoration to perform a roof inspection for you. We will be able to assess whether your roof incurred significant enough damage to require repair.
Emergency Roof Tarping
Emergency roof tarping is a temporary solution to prevent secondary storm damage to your roof until it can be thoroughly inspected and repaired. Roof tarping does not actually fix the problem, but it does provide protection from further storm damage.
To prevent further damage to areas of the roof, large, strong tarps are secured over the damaged area with sandbags or nailed firmly to the roof framing or remaining shingles.
Besides roof leaks caused by monsoon storms, there are other situations in which emergency roof tarping may be needed.
- Fallen tree damage to roof
- Roof rot
- Walking on the roof
ROOF LEAKS AND HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE
Your Responsibility to Protect Property from More Damage
Make sure the electricity is off before you walk through standing water! If the water is coming from a broken pipe or something of that sort, get the water source turned off. Your insurance company will want to see that you took such steps and ask you to secure temporary repairs like roof tarping.
It is tempting to tarp your roof on your own, but quickly calling a professional roofing company to tarp your roof is crucial. Tarping your roof quickly will stop the leaks and prevent further storm damage threatening your home. Also, why risk a nasty fall on a slippery roof?
Most insurance policies state that it’s the insured’s responsibility to protect property from further damage once a roof has been compromised. Start gathering information by taking photos of everything, where the water came in, what it damaged, and how you tried to stop it from getting worse.
Beside insurance, the main reason your compromised roof should be tarped is the safety of your family. When water continues entering your home, it creates an environment that is toxic to your family and encourages mold spore growth. Additionally, fires can result from water being in contact with your home’s electrical system. Protecting your home’s contents, like furniture, is another important reason to tarp your roof.
An insurance adjuster will decide if the true source of the leak was from storm damage or simply because the roof was old and worn out or lack of maintenance.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Leaks?
Yes, water leaks are covered but only in certain circumstances. The challenge with roof damage is that sometimes it’s difficult to tell whether the roof leak was caused by the monsoon or normal wear and tear. This can be frustrating for the homeowner; if the roof leaks during a rainstorm, it may seem that the storm is the cause of the leak, but if the leak came through existing cracks in a parapet, it may not be.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Damage to the Interior of the Home?
If the roof leak causes damage to the contents inside the home, insurance policies generally cover destruction and damage to a residence’s interior.
The first step in making a roof claim is to try to understand your policy. There’s no point going to battle for coverage that you never had.
Why Call Commercial Cleaning & Restoration?
Whether your roof leaks are big or small, Commercial Cleaning & Restoration is available 24/7 to handle the situation so you don’t have to. Our experienced technicians will respond quickly armed with the equipment and knowledge necessary to protect your property from further damage, restore your property quickly, reducing your total loss and ensuring you can get back to normal as soon as possible.
What is a KB2 Arizona license?
The Arizona Dual Residential and Small Commercial (KB-2) Contractor License allows Commercial Cleaning & Restoration to perform the following work:
- Build and modify any structure intended for support and shelter of persons, animals or movable property of any kind
- Build any type of residential structure with electrical, plumbing, and air conditioning are subcontracted out.
- Repair and remodel project cannot exceed $2,000,000 in labor and materials.
Carpet • Tile • Area Rugs • Upholstered Furniture
At Commercial Cleaning & Restoration, we want the best for you and your carpet and we will work to prove it to you.
We also clean area rugs and upholstery.
If you are interested in having your flooring and upholstery professionally cleaned, schedule an appointment at (520) 297-4736 for your home today!