It is tempting to let water leaks dry on their own, but there are consequences to waiting for the water to disappear. Water leaks can lead to mold damage within 24-48 hours of exposure. Even worse, mold will continue to grow if steps are not taken to eliminate the source of the leak. This problem is a threat to your human health and the structural integrity of your home, so the sooner you find the source, the better off you will be.
Early Signs of Water Damage … What to Look For
1) Ripples or blisters in the paint
- Blistering or bubbling is one of the best clues ever that you have water-damaged drywall. Drywall has a paper backing, so when it gets wet, it can bubble and wrinkle, sort of like a sheet of paper does.
2) Discolored or stained paint
- Another common sign is areas where the drywall is soft to the touch and water stains/discoloration appear.
3) Wet flooring
- Wet flooring is another sign of water damage which is easily overlooked. If water is seeping into subflooring, tile may loosen without explanation. Carpet may feel soggy. Linoleum can peel and laminate flooring may warp.
4) A nasty, humid smell
- Your sense of smell will often give you the bad news. A nasty, humid smell is a giveaway that there is mold growth somewhere in the house. Mold needs moisture, so you can assume there is a leak.
Where Does Water Damage Come From? … Find the Source
Call immediately! We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for water emergencies.
Water Damage Repair
Water damage repair is a multi¬-step process that should be handled by an experienced, certified, licensed water restoration contractor.
- The first thing we do is to find and stop the source of the water damage.
- The second part of our process involves removing any standing water in the area. We have large water extractors that can remove water very quickly.
- Once water has been removed, we use special equipment like water meters to assess the damage within the walls.
- Next, we will begin preparation for a thorough drying process by allowing airflow into the walls. Depending on the damage assessment, drying could involve lifting the baseboards or removing damaged walls.
- Dehumidifiers and air movers are brought in to dry the damaged structure thoroughly.
- Once the structure is dry then we are ready to rebuild and make it Like New Again!
Air Quality Testing
If you are smelling “musty” stains, it’s time for air quality testing. Poor air quality affects your health and the health of your loved ones. We can make the invisible visible, then help clean and improve your whole home.
In most cases, our turn-around time is 48 hours. We don’t have to wait long for sample test results because all our testing is done locally with our partner, Dr. Mark Sneller of Aero-Allergen Research.
Air quality testing includes:
- Mold and pollen
- Vehicular carbon exhaust
- Allergenic plant particles
- Natural and artificial fibers
- General airborne dust level
Call us now if you are experiencing any of these symptoms: sneezing, headaches, coughing, itching, and asthma attacks.
Because mold presents a health hazard, our restoration crew is trained and has the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) for cleaning up mold. We can assess the moisture levels and damage to walls and then remove any mold and mold-infested materials. During the process we will ensure the mold won’t be able to regrow. We will then hang new drywall and finally, we’ll repaint the wall to match its original color and your wall will look like it is New Again.